Since 1999 Faststream has seen significant growth on a global scale and we now employ over 100 people. We continue to look for the very best people to join our specialist recruitment teams in the UK, Singapore and US. We hire people from many walks of life, including experienced Recruitment Consultants, sales professionals, graduates and experts from our specialist recruitment sectors. The most important aspect is having the ambition and drive to succeed in a career in recruitment with Faststream.
Why not follow our careers page on LinkedIn for all the latest news and vacancies at the Faststream Group.
We celebrated our 20th anniversary as a global recruitment business in 2019 and the Faststream Recruitment Group team attended the Sandbanks Beach Polo to celebrate. Check out our video of the day below:
We offer a competitive base salary and commission plan with no billing thresholds or caps. This means you’ll earn commission on everything you bill, as you bill it, and the more you bill the higher the commission paid.
We offer great benefits too, generous holiday allowance (plus all public holidays), free car parking, company pension (where applicable), Monday to Friday/flexible working hours, fresh fruit daily, company paid social events and modern, open plan offices.
We are passionate about our people and invest heavily in a structured training and development programme for both new and experienced Consultants.
We want you to reach your full potential and through recruitment skills training, role plays and on the job coaching and mentoring, we are able to achieve this.
Developing our own people is critical to the success of Faststream and we are proud to say that the majority of our experienced Consultants and Recruitment Team Leaders, Managers and Directors are home grown.
Everyone has the opportunity to grow at Faststream, without always having to wait for someone above you to move on. We offer a clearly defined, achievable career path with tailored training and support to help you get there. We promote based on your ability and results, not your length of time in the business. One of our fastest promotions was from Consultant to Team Leader in 22 months.
Your success is our success and so, you can expect to be rewarded (depending on the role) with a higher base salary, increased holiday allowance, higher employer pension contribution, company car allowance, company phone and enhanced commission schemes.
We have a ‘work-hard, play-hard’ culture and we reward our teams with regular sales incentives. We also hold formal and informal company events throughout the year.
We understand that when we hire adults, we should treat them as such and you will experience more flexibility and responsibility in your role than in most businesses. In return, we expect people to take ownership of their desk day to day, from being on time, to managing their time well, putting in 100% every day, dealing with problems and challenges and asking for help and support when they need it.
Recruitment is an exciting mix of sales, business development, account management and of course recruitment. We work with both specialist clients to source the people they need to meet their business plans and with specialist candidates looking for a new job and/or career to meet their professional and/or personal goals.
Recruitment Consultants are a vital link between candidate and clients, often advising on strategic and well as operational requirements. We can provide market intelligence, salary surveys, marketing services and industry events.
We work in a global market so most of our business with clients and candidates is done over the phone and from the office. We have many established clients and candidates but are always striving to increase our market share so the role will include lots of business development calls to new companies. We also work in highly candidate short markets where the war for talent is fierce and pro-actively looking for new talent is a daily job.
Our best recruiters spend most of their day on the phone, talking to new and existing clients and candidates. They are selling themselves and our business, over-coming objections, developing relationships and building new people networks, understanding what clients and candidates want and need, looking for problems to solve (not just jobs to fill), taking their best opportunities and people to the market, managing and making placements.
Recruitment is a dynamic, fast-paced and highly competitive industry. People join us from all walks of life but they all share the same qualities. This is what we look for:
• Great phone presence - can get people talking, are engaging and personable.
• Tenacious and resilient - won't take no for an answer, will ask questions, overcome objections and stay in control.
• Gets People - understands what makes people tick, how to sell to them and influence their decisions.
• Good judgement/time management - you have to make good decisions every day about how you spend your time and which clients, jobs, and candidates to work and not to work.
• Restless and competitive - strong sense of urgency, makes things happen, drives own results, likes working to targets and wants to be the best.
Our Recruitment Consultants share their insights into what a day in the life of a Recruiter is like. Find out more below.
With 20+ years international recruitment experience, Faststream Maritime Recruitment is looking to accelerate its US success by growing our Americas Team, based here in Southampton.
We provide high-end, Shipping & Maritime recruitment solutions, partnering with Ship Owners, Ship Managers and Offshore/Marine Consultancies across the globe.
To find out more about this exciting opportunity to join our team, click here
Our best recruiters spend most of their day on the phone, talking to clients and candidates - developing relationships, building their people networks, understanding what businesses need, looking for problems to solve (versus jobs to fill), marketing themselves and their best opportunities, managing their recruitment deals and, of course making placements.
To find out more about this great opportunity to join our team, click here.
Due to ongoing demands from our clients, we are looking for an Oil and Gas Recruitment Consultant to join our growing team Central Singapore (nearby to Boat Quay). We want Recruiters who are motivated, driven and want to work in a sales-oriented environment.
To find out more about this great opportunity to join our team, click here.
As a Recruitment Consultant at Faststream Recruitment, you will be running your desk as though it's your own business.
You will be spending most of your day on the phone, building relationships with clients and candidates and growing your network as an industry specialist.
To find out more and apply, please look at our full job description here
If you are a super-motivated 2020 Graduate looking for a job with full training, big prospects and an even bigger earning potential, we could have the perfect Graduate opportunity for you.
Uncover more and apply today by viewing the full details of our Graduate scheme, here.
Recruitment is our business, and so we know the importance of a positive and timely recruitment experience, whether you are hired or not. Here is what you can expect from us:
- Applying for the job – You can apply directly to our Internal Recruitment & Talent Acquisition Executive at Emma.Homann@faststream.com. Remember to tailor your CV and covering letter to the job you are applying for and check for typos, grammatical errors and gaps in your CV – first impressions are everything. We aim to respond to all applications within three working days either by telephone or email.
- Phone interview – If your application is successful, we will call you for an initial telephone interview. Recruitment is sales and so be prepared to sell yourself against the role. At this initial stage, we are looking for confident, interesting people who can hold a good conversation, sell themselves well, have a basic understanding of the role, ask good questions and have the right motivations to work in recruitment. Phone interviews take 10-15 minutes and we will tell you there and then if you have been successful in reaching the next stage. A face to face interview will be booked in for as soon as possible, at your earliest convenience.
- First, face to face interview – This usually takes place at our offices, with our Head of Talent, during office hours (so you get a feel for the company culture) and lasts about one hour. We can be flexible with timings and location where needed. This interview is about getting to know each other more and exploring the role in more detail. We’ll role play some recruitment scenarios with you to gauge your understanding of the role and also give you an idea of what to expect in the job. We provide interview feedback to everyone, usually within 1-2 working days. If successful, you will be invited back for a final interview with the hiring manager.
- Online personality profile analysis – If you are invited back for a final interview, you will be asked to complete an online personality profile analysis (thomasinternational.net). It is not a test, there are no right or wrong answers. You are asked to select words that most and least describe you in a work environment, which tells us how you are likely to do the job and identifies areas for further questioning at final interview. The PPA should take you no more than 10 minutes to complete, be spontaneous, go with your gut feel.
- Final, face to face interview – This interview will be with the hiring Manager and/or Associate Director and will last up to two hours. You will be interviewed with specific teams in mind (as confirmed prior to this interview) and so you will be expected to have done your research for this. We will again run some recruitment scenarios and ask questions around your background experience, understanding of the role and motivations. This is also another opportunity to ask questions so be prepared, have some written down. We will contact you within 1-2 working days with feedback and if you have been successful we will make a verbal offer of employment. Subject to discussion/verbal acceptance we follow this up in writing within 1-2 working days.
We provide feedback throughout the interview process, whether you are successful or not. If you have not been contacted at any time or wish to discuss your interview experience with us, please contact Rachel Farndell on 07817 595027, or at Rachel.Farndell@faststream.com. We are always looking for ways to improve what we do so your feedback is very important to us.
Ellaine Legaspi is an experienced recruiter and is based in our Singapore office.
“After graduating with a degree in Behavioural Sciences from the University of Manila, Philippines in 2008 I knew I wanted a career working with people. I took a graduate role with a recruitment company in Manila and absolutely loved it.
I moved to Singapore in 2010 where I initially worked in banking whilst I settled myself in Singapore. In 2012 I returned to my first love, working for a small generalist recruitment company before moving on in 2014 to a more specialist permanent desk in HR, Marketing and Accounts (Corporate Services).
In 2015 I was head hunted by Matt Conway (MD of Faststream Recruitment, Singapore) for a role in Maritime Corporate Services and I haven’t looked back since. The business is completely different to anything I have experienced before. The global opportunity and the ability to become a specialist in my field have enabled me to develop my career beyond expectations. We are treated like adults and expected to drive our own business independently whilst working collaboratively with the wider Singapore and global team.
Since joining Faststream, I have had the opportunity to expand my knowledge and experience from Corporate Services to Commercial Shipping (dry bulk). I have been promoted twice and in my current role as Lead Consultant I continue to receive valuable mentoring from the MD Matt Conway. My ambition at Faststream is to become a Recruitment Manager so I can continue to mentor others whilst being able to do hands-on recruitment.
I love working in recruitment, no day is the same and I get to speak to and meet with new people every day. The benefits and rewards at Faststream are motivating - if you work hard in recruitment, the results and the rewards will always follow.”
Richard Long is an industry expert and is based in our UK office.
“After completing my degree in Business Information Systems I spent two years in Italy travelling and working as a boat builder and chef. I really enjoyed my time in Italy but wanted to come back to the UK.
I applied for a junior position with Carisbrooke Shipping on the Isle of Wight and began my journey learning about operating vessels. I was quickly promoted and trained as a Charterer managing a 20 vessel fleet. I thoroughly enjoyed the shipping industry, gaining industry qualifications and creating relationships.
After 6 years in the shipping industry I needed a new challenge but I was keen to stay within the industry that I had learnt so much about. In 2014 I saw a position advertised in the Commercial Shipping team at Faststream and thought that this could be an opportunity to continue working in an industry that I love but do something different at the same time.
I started out as a Recruitment Consultant and have been promoted twice in my time with Faststream, currently working as a Lead Consultant. My ambition is to become a Principal Consultant as I would like to stay hands-on in recruitment rather than moving into a people management role.
There is a great atmosphere in the Faststream office, we get incentivised to meet and break targets with commission, promotions as well as amazing opportunities to take part in activities, trips, win prizes and meals out.
Being a Recruitment Consultant has enabled me to continue doing the tasks I enjoyed in my previous role and has given me the ability to stay in an industry that I love. There are similarities between my roles; previously I was matching cargos and vessels together, now I am matching candidates and clients! I get to speak to people every day about shipping and continue developing relationships that I held in my previous role.”
Chris Slade is an experienced sales professional and is based in our UK office.
“I graduated in 2003 with a Business Management degree and quickly started my career in sales with a major retail and commercial bank, NatWest in Southampton.
I enjoyed working with a variety of customers, dealing with enquiries and having the opportunity to enhance their banking experience with extra products and services. I progressed in the team to Assistant Customer Service Manager but became ready for a new challenge.
A family friend was working as a Recruitment Consultant for the Faststream Recruitment Group and made the role sound very attractive to me. After applying for a Recruitment Consultant vacancy in 2012, I was successful at interview and started my journey in recruitment.
The environment at Faststream is incredible, we are a real family. We are incentivised with amazing activities, trips, prizes and meals out. If you are prepared to put the work in, you will be rewarded within this company.
Working at Faststream has enabled me to travel all across Europe to trade shows and client meetings, which has enhanced my network and in turn improved my performance as a Principal Recruiter.
If you are considering becoming a Recruitment Consultant, then you need to look at the long game. The work you put in for the first two years is what will make you a great recruiter in the future.
Unlike many sales roles, there is no cap on commission. If you like and want to earn money, and put in the hours at Faststream, you will deliver results which in turn are rewarded with increasing commission. The opportunity to make money is at a much more elevated level than most sales roles in Southampton, you would normally need to work in London to have this opportunity.
I have been promoted three times in my six year career within the business, and because of the career progression options available, I am able to consider my options on whether I would prefer to concentrate on the sales side or increase my man management responsibilities as a Team Manager.”