The purpose of this position is to lead the technical procurement of their wind-assisted ship propulsion technology, to ensure that equipment is procured correctly. This key role in the Projects team forms the essential link between design, procurement and production, to make their marine equipment the best in the world.
Main Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Collate drawings, specifications, Bills of Material (BoMs) and requirements from the Engineering team and consultants and distribute these securely to suppliers and production partners in China and worldwide, to ensure that all technical information provided to suppliers is complete, correct and up to date for RFQs and purchase orders.
- Generate supplier requirements documents in consultation with colleagues in the Engineering team to ensure that suppliers are clear and accountable for all additional technical requirements including tooling, manufacturing, quality assurance, inspection, factory acceptance testing, documentation, type approval, packaging, transport and storage.
- Support Procurement and Production teams with new supplier selection and ongoing assessment of existing suppliers, based on their capability to deliver quality products on time to the right cost. This will require periodic visits to suppliers, mainly in China and Europe.
- Answer technical queries from suppliers and production partners during procurement and production, feeding questions and suggestions for design/cost/manufacturability improvements back to the rest of the Engineering team as appropriate.
- Manage updates to BoMs, drawings and technical documentation, ensuring that design changes are clearly communicated through the supply chain and that correct versions of documents are used for production.
- Manage and communicate technical changes coming from suppliers that may have an impact on the rest of the design.
- Ensure supplier as-built drawings, manuals and specifications are communicated to the engineering and production teams recorded within the document management system, including revision control.
Education / Qualifications-
- Masters or Bachelors degree in a relevant engineering discipline
- Chartered Engineer or working towards chartership
Likely to have 10+ years of multidisciplinary engineering experience, covering:
- Engineering of mechanical, structural, electrical and/or hydraulic equipment for marine or similar harsh environments
- Working with external suppliers including face-to-face visits to production facilities and inspection of manufactured equipment
- Interpreting and explaining technical specifications and engineering drawings for production
- Writing clear technical specifications
- Critically reviewing supplier proposals against technical requirements
- Document management including secure file-sharing and revision control
- Experience with Excel, AutoCAD and 3D modelling software
- Familiarity with typical marine engineering details, weld specifications, tolerances, fasteners, coatings, materials and manufacturing techniques.
- An understanding of ISO9001, business processes and ERP systems
- Experience of working with marine Classification Societies and applying their rules and regulations for designs
- Experience of the commercial shipping industry
- Strong attention to detail
- Methodical worker with self-checking approach
- Able to understand and take into account others’ viewpoints and input
- Understands importance of meeting agreed deadlines whilst maintaining quality
- Can thrive in a dynamic “Start Up” environment and evolve the role as the company grows
- Willingness to travel