Silverstream Technologies has successfully developed and deployed a market-leading clean marine technology solution over the last ten years – The Silverstream® System. Our Air Lubrication System (ALS) fundamentally changes the interaction between water and a vessel’s hull, creating a carpet of microbubbles that coats the flat bottom of a vessel. As a result, frictional resistance is reduced – dramatically improving a vessel’s fuel consumption and associated emissions.
The Marine Engineer is a key role that will provide subject matter expertise to the Silverstream Technologies business in the context of mechanical components and piping systems that are integral to functioning of ALS. You will be involved in a wide range of activities from overseeing the specification of components and their interface at ship to managing the technical relationship with key OEMs, chief amongst which are compressor manufacturers. You will devise, instigate, execute and manage a programme of cost engineering activities agreed with Silverstream Technologies’ senior management as relating to provision and integration of mechanical and piping systems. You will lead/assist projects aimed at development of system designs associated with vessels that are first of Class in respect to installation of ALS.
- Provide subject matter expertise for mechanical, HVAC and piping design/modifications for installation of ALS both as a Retrofit and as part of a Newbuild project
- Provide a focal point to our engineering teams in context of mechanical engineering, HVAC and piping systems, nurturing and growing our skills base in this regard
- Act as technical focal point with key OEMs for mechanical components. Activities encompassing.
- o Develop & maintain technical and performance specifications
- o Support tendering activities associated with placement of Framework Agreements with identified OEMs
- o Enable cost effective solutions for all target vessels
- o Develop clear understanding of the life cycle cost of solutions offered to clients
- Apply mechanical engineering expertise on Projects in support of Project Engineers (PE)
- Attendance at shipyards including oversight of system commissioning activities
- Develop suite of standard Project deliverables that articulate the mechanical/piping/HVAC elements of ALS installation
Skills, Qualifications, Experience & Characteristics:
- Higher Degree in Mechanical/Marine Engineering or a related subject or equivalent industry qualifications (Chief Engineer)
- Chartered Engineering Status is desirable although not essential
- A clear and demonstratable understanding of marine air compressor design, operation and installation in a marine environment is desirable
- A clear and demonstratable understanding of marine piping systems and ability to calculate pipe system losses, pipe stresses, heat transfer and similar characteristics is desirable
- A clear and demonstratable understanding of marine HVAC systems and ability to calculate air flow needs given ambient conditions and compartment heat load is desirable
- Experience relating to the oversight and verification of mechanical works executed within a shipyard environment
- Conversant with AutoCAD and/or similar drafting packages. Some experience with Solid Works/3D modelling is desirable although not essential