The Fleet Safety & Performance Coach is tasked to build and maintain a high performing safety culture onboard the vessels to support Ship Management operations. The position requires the coach to visit and sail with our vessels, including extensive worldwide travel, as well as working on weekends.
Key Responsibilities - On-board Training Services
- Promote “Safety is for me” culture & facilitate implementation of V.Group core values.
- Conduct a thorough training need analysis onboard and observe the safety culture onboard by following standard company procedures, techniques, and checklists.
- Promotion and understanding of safety requirements, systems, and procedures among the ship personnel.
- Identify hazardous conditions and hazardous work practices and explain to the crew why it is important for them. Work with vessel on elimination of these factors together with the crew and reduce the risk acceptance level.
- Undertake the ship safety inspection and/or requested audit noting any deficiencies, observations and recommendations. Audits include navigation / environment / engine / pre-vetting / internal audits, etc.
- Conduct and assist in incident investigation under instruction from HSE Group.
- During the inspection monitor the vessels compliance with the company’s policies and procedures.
- Monitor the Bridge team / Engine team during critical stages of navigation and review the function in terms of Teamwork, communication, Stress management, challenge and response.
Ship Security Services
- Where requested, undertake the Ship Security Assessment (SSA) and prepare the Ship Security Plan (SSP) to class for approval. The SSA is to be completed and presented upon disembarking the vessel.
- Where requested, undertake the internal ISPS Audit and submit the audit report as defined above.
- Provide on-board security training, ISPS Awareness Training, SSO Training, CSO Training and search techniques in accordance with company materials. All training delivered to the crew will be summarized within the OBT Report.
- Every ship visit must be supported with a report on the purpose of the visit and the overall conclusions and / or recommendations. Where the visit is not covered by one of the standard reports, then a ship visit report is to be completed.
- Whilst on-board, all requested assistance should be provided to the Master and/or the Ships Superintendent commensurate with fulfilling duties and responsibilities highlighted.
- Assist in shore inhouse trainings as required by CCC.
- Assist in regional conference, workshops, and special sessions.
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned by the BU Manager or fleet cell.
- Class 1 Master Mariner or suitable experience at a senior level on-board either as Chief Officer, Chief Engineer or 2nd Officer with at least 2 years shore based experience.
- Where appropriate dangerous cargo endorsement
- Experience in ISM Auditing and Vetting Inspections, ISM, SSO & CSO certified
- A good understanding of the statutory requirements, regulations and marine codes of practice
- Good communication skills and an ability to interact with management office and crew at all levels and nationalities
- Good IT Skills & proficient in report writing and presenting materials and reports.
- Fluent in both written and spoken business English
With over 35 years’ experience in managing vessels in the shipping, cruise and energy sectors, V.Group is committed to delivering safe and compliant operations through transparency, pro-activeness, and strong partnerships. V.Group provides a full range of ship management and marine support services to ship owners and operators around the globe, as well as the ability to blend those services together in unique combinations to meet specific customer needs.
With responsibility for 600 assets including tankers, bulk carriers, and gas carriers, to cruise, offshore, passenger vessels and containerships, under management, V.Group has access to an international network of over 44,000 seafarers across all sectors. They are supported by an onshore team of over 3,000 colleagues spread throughout 30 countries in 60 regional offices.