The purpose of this position is to lead the design and development of the mechanical parts of their marine wind-assisted ship propulsion technology, in terms of functionality, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Specifying design improvements for development by the internal engineering team or with external consultants as required.
- Working with existing and new manufacturers for supply of the technology in line with designs and specifications, and to the quality and cost required by the company.
- Supporting the commissioning and operation of the technology on ships.
- Contributing to the development of operation and maintenance manuals and supporting clients with maintenance requirements.
- Contributing to the running of tests on the equipment.
- Contributing to the development of their intellectual property portfolio.
Education / Qualifications:
- Masters degree in Mechanical or similar engineering discipline (minimum 2:1)
- Chartered engineer or working towards Chartership
Knowledge and Experience:
Likely to have 10+ years of post-graduate engineering work experience, covering:
- Mechanical design, ideally of industrial machinery for harsh environments eg. marine or offshore equipment, trains, cranes, construction/agricultural/mining equipment, or wind turbines.
- Designing with and specifying materials including steels, bronzes, engineering polymers, elastomers
- Designing with and specifying off-the-shelf and (where necessary) bespoke mechanical components and sensors
- Choosing and designing for appropriate production processes including welding, casting, machining, surface treatment, painting and coating.
- Specifying manufacturing tolerances and understanding their effect on performance, quality and cost, including measurement methods
- Developing designs optimised for manufacturability, reliability, maintainability and cost
- Designing for medium volume production (tens to hundreds of units per year)
- Managing design configurations and revision control
- Specifying and overseeing testing of prototype components and assemblies to demonstrate reliability and to improve performance and cost
- Experience with Excel, MatLab, AutoCAD and 3D modelling software
- Experience of using FEA software and interpreting FEA results
- Ability to manage specialist multi-disciplinary engineering consultants and suppliers
- Experience of working with Classification Societies and applying their rules and regulations for designs would be advantageous
- Experience with condition-based monitoring (CBM) systems would be advantageous
- Experience of the commercial shipping industry would be advantageous but not essential
Personal Qualities and Competences:
- Strong attention to detail
- Methodical worker with self-checking approach
- Able to explain complex information clearly and concisely
- Able to understand and take into account others’ viewpoints and input
- Understands importance of meeting agreed deadlines whilst maintaining quality
- Appetite for innovation with a dynamic and proactive nature
- Willingness to travel when required
- A passion for harnessing renewable energy to improve the world we live in