There has never been a better time to join LR as they have recently embarked on a journey of rapid transformation and growth following the divestment of their Business Assurance and Inspection Services divisions.
Faststream are delighted to have been selected to enter into a global talent partnership with LR to support their rapid growth and transformation by delivering talented individuals who are ready to embark upon career defining journeys.
They are now looking to recruit for a Digital Specialist to with exceptional skills in software development, data analysis and naval architecture. The successful candidate will develop digital products and provide specialist consultancy services to support LR’s rapidly growing advisory in ship performance and decarbonisation.
With the shipping industry moving towards a decarbonised future, there is an increasing demand for data, market intelligence and advisory services for low/zero carbon shipping technology from a range of maritime stakeholders including ship owners, charterers and the finance community. LR has been addressing this demand by developing digital products using advanced ship performance models, large scale datasets such as automatic identification system (AIS) data and global weather data, data streamed from client ships and LR’s extensive in-house databases of marine assets and technologies. The successful candidate will use their skills to advance the development of these products, work with the digital team to create exciting new digital products for the maritime sector and deliver consulting projects utilising these digital tools and products.
The position will be based in the Southampton Office, but flexible working arrangements will be considered. The successful candidate would need to be able to work from this office when required, and be able to visit clients in London occasionally, sometimes at short notice.
- Developing and creating innovative digital based services and products that meet clients' current and emerging challenges, particularly in the area of ship performance and technology
- Deliver marine advisory projects and product development projects (solely or as part of a team) which includes identifying, qualifying and designing the solution
- Produce deliverables to the defined scope of work including high quality digital products and technical reports according to established procedures, on time and within budget
- Working with the lead ship performance and decarbonisations stakeholders, and colleagues involved in digital products to define the development roadmap for LR’s digital solutions in decarbonisation
- Contributing to software architecture design, including the choice of technical and software standards employed
- Contributing to discussions on use cases for new technologies, and ways to improve our digital products and engineering practices
- Support all the marine advisory teams and LR’s Decarbonisation Hub on an as required basis, as defined by PDE management
- Pro-actively share knowledge with the team and the company at large for technical and promotional purposes
- Build a network of contacts in order to gain knowledge and promote business
- Achieve targets for chargeable time in specialist area, in line with team management expectations
- Conduct activities in line with internal procedures, accreditation schemes, legislation, and industry standards
- Pursue Continuing Professional Development and maintain a high degree of discipline, knowledge and awareness
To be successful in the role, you will need:
- A degree or equivalent from a tertiary organisation recognised by Lloyd’s Register within the field of marine, mechanical, software engineering, or data science. Post graduate degree in engineering or data science (MSc, MEng, or PhD) is not required but would be an asset
- Proven ability in the technical domains of advanced data analysis, engineering model development and software development
- Proven ability with Python, databases and cloud services is essential
- A passion for solving challenging engineering problems using advanced data analysis techniques
- Knowledge of the marine industry and naval architecture
- The ability to work on your own or as part of a team on larger projects
- Strong consultancy and engineering-oriented mindset
- Flexibility to take on new challenges with an enquiring mind
- To have an ambitious, positive and self-motivated attitude
- Proven ability in the project management process, gained through experience, involving complex projects and stakeholder relationships
- Proficiency in the English language commensurate with the work