Silverstream Technologies has successfully developed and deployed a market-leading clean marine technology solution over the last ten years – The Silverstream® System. Our Air Lubrication System (ALS) fundamentally changes the interaction between water and a vessel’s hull, creating a carpet of microbubbles that coats the flat bottom of a vessel. As a result, frictional resistance is reduced – dramatically improving a vessel’s fuel consumption and associated emissions.
The Lead Control & Automation Engineer will provide leadership and subject matter expertise, ensuring timely delivery of ‘Application Engineering’ support in discipline in relation to live projects, prioritising activities as required to meet project needs. You will be responsible for the quality of deliverables in discipline, ensuring that the Automation discipline retains the correct skill set to expedite project demands effectively.
- Lead, mentor and develop - line management of Automation Engineers
- Provide technical support and advice to engineering and project teams
- Facilitate the teams development of Standard C&A Solutions
- Review & maintain solutions utilised on current and previous projects
- Develop and document the standard core solution for use on future projects (specifications, drawings etc.)
- Maintain core solution and manage releases using robust configuration management
- Obsolescence management
- Manage new product introduction (NPI)
- Facilitate, oversee and improve application of C&A on Projects:
- Support tendering activity by recommending technical solution and costings.
- Capture the requirements for projects.
- Definition and specification of I/O interfaces to ST hardware.
- Maintenance of Product Documentation to reflect I/O (Block Diagrams, Termination Drawings, I/O Lists, Technical Specifications, FAT, HAT and SAT acceptance procedures).
- Work with shipyards and owners to agree and freeze requirements specification and to support technical aspects of ship build programme.
- Plan and complete project specific design/configuration (hardware, functions, software, integration), ensuring customer and project requirements are met.
- Integration with existing ship systems.
- Support hardware procurement (Specification, Supplier Liaison, Supplier Quality Management).
- Specify, test, and troubleshoot PLC based control systems and associated components.
- Support Commissioning.
- Identify and manage technical risks on the projects and ensure mitigation plans are in place.
- In-Service Support
- Supply Chain
- Degree in electrical, electronic, or automation related subject
- Chartered Engineering Status is desirable although not essential
- A Minimum of 5 years working in automation and control or a similar technical discipline (ideally in the Marine industry)
- Clear team leadership experience in discipline within a fast and dynamic environment, with a proven ability to tactically plan, prioritise and deliver support as required to meet business needs
- System integration and working on multi-discipline projects
- Design of PLC based machinery control systems including PID regulated devices, sequencing, and event-based control
- Modernisation and porting of existing functionality to new platforms and/or operating systems as required
- Network and communications protocols (e.g., Ethernet, Modbus, Profibus, NMEA)
- Knowledge of HMI design and modification following industry best practice
- Knowledge of PLC Programming on platforms following IEC 61131
- Knowledge of Matlab/Simulink or Object-oriented programming languages advantageous.