|Salary:||£47,064 - £54,805 + Relocation, Low Tax + Benefits|
|Location:||Isle of Man|
|Division:||MARINE SURVEYING JOBS|
The Isle of Man Ship Registry is one of the world's leading registers of ships and super yachts. A British register providing the very best in service to its valued clients; it is the flag of choice for owners looking for quality and partnership from a Flag Administration.
Reporting to the Principal Surveyor, you will undertake audits, surveys and inspections on board Isle of Man registered ships and companies, and on board ships and commercial yachts proposed for registry in the Island with a view to ensuring and maintaining the highest standards in all areas, structural, operational and equipment for any Isle of Man vessel.
Based in the Isle of Man, the successful candidate will enjoy an exceptional quality of life and genuine work-life balance in a safe and beautiful environment offering high standards of education and healthcare.
* Conduct surveys, inspections and audits aboard vessels wherever they may be in order to ensure compliance with Manx and International standards and requirements. Surveyors are required to report to the Principal Surveyor on duty and the Registrar on the suitability of vessels proposed for registry in the Isle of Man.
* Inspections and surveys include examinations of hull and internal structures, ISM audits, crew accommodation and working conditions inspections, assessments of emergency drills and evacuation exercises, as well as mandatory load tests and functional tests on items of safety and fire-fighting equipment. Surveys and inspections may take place in port, at sea on short sea passages, or in shipyards.
* Undertake inspections and surveys on Manx fishing vessels and other locally operating craft.
* Undertake annual and renewal yacht code surveys for commercial yachts against the requirements of the Large Yacht Code ( LY1, LY2, LY3 and PYC);
* Assist the Principal Surveyor on duty with day to day enquiries and administrative work;
* Prepare and issue necessary international certificates for ships as evidence of compliance with statutory requirements;
* Assess and approve mandatory manuals, plans and operational procedures for use on Isle of Man ships;
* Assess and approve drawings, statutory manuals and specifications for ships proposed for the Isle of Man Ship Registry;
* Conduct casualty investigations and other investigations on Port State Control deficiencies whenever necessary reporting to the Principal Surveyor on duty. Such investigations require witness interviews, physical evidence collection, reconstruction and effective report writing. In some cases there may be a need for some deeper research into the factors involved. It can be necessary to conduct interviews under caution. Follow up action may require monitoring of the implementation of recommendations and may require prosecution of individuals or corporate bodies with attendant court appearances;
* Conduct inspections of foreign vessels in Manx waters for compliance with International requirements and standards and instigate detention of such vessels when standards are not met;
* Provide specialist advice to industry and Government on matters;
* Conduct assessment visits to STCW certificate issuing countries and report on acceptance of their qualification for seafarers serving on Manx ships;
* Conduct, as required, Vertical Contract Audits (VCA's) on Manx registered vessels to assess the competence of Recognised Organisation (RO) surveyors carrying out delegated surveys, inspections, verifications and audits;
* Conduct, as required, VCA's on RO offices and stations to ensure the RO offices are operating within their quality systems when carrying out work on behalf of the Isle of Man;
* Take an active part at the International Maritime Organization representing the Isle of Man as a part of the UK delegation as well as at other organisations;
* Research particular technical topics with a view to providing advice on legislation, survey procedures and inspection methodology for those topics;
* Relevant degree or STCW III/2 or II/2 certificate of competence
* Qualified as a Classification Society Surveyor
* 5 years' experience in a technical position within a Classification Society
* Experience of developing policy for the implementation of International Maritime Conventions into national legislation
* Ability to demonstrate a high level of knowledge of the work of a Maritime Administration and fully up to date with current conventions, shipboard practice and survey requirements.
* Ability to review international requirements and understand their application locally and the wider issues surrounding their adoption in national legislations
* The ability to effectively influence, negotiate and persuade at all levels both internally within Government and with an international portfolio of clients; well-developed presentation skills
* Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
* The ability to effectively influence, negotiate and persuade effectively
* Technical and practical knowledge of ship construction, equipment, ship types and designs
* Charismatic and able to motivate others and show real passion for the organisation
* Confident, resilient & assertive with excellent influencing, inter-personal and communication skills and with a high level of emotional intelligence
* High levels of personal integrity, honesty with a fundamental commitment to fairness, transparency and sensitivity in all dealings
* £47,064 - £54,805 Per Annum
* Employee favourable tax rate in the Isle of Man
* Interview expenses and a relocation package of up to £10,000 based on receipts is available for this role
* The Isle of Man is offering a National Insurance Holiday Scheme which allows newly employed, relocated or returning residents to apply for a refund on their National Insurance contributions for their first year of living or returning to the Isle of Man, with refunds capped at £4,000.
* Generous annual leave
* Excellent pension scheme
* Flexible working
* Life cover
Back to Jobs Page
£47,064 - £54,805 + Relocation, Low Tax + Benefits
Isle of Man